Crafty Mushroom, Courgette & Cheddar Cheese Soufflés
A soufflé rarely makes a table appearance these days – probably because most of us fear it collapsing en route! But it is worth the vote of confidence, as this very easy recipe proves. All you need are diners ready and waiting to be impressed!
- Preheat the oven to 190ᵒC / Gas 5 / 170ᵒC Fan. Lightly grease 4 individual 300ml (½ pt) ovenproof dishes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the courgettes and fry gently for 5 minutes or until softened, transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the Chesswood Creamed Mushrooms to the saucepan and heat gently until just about to simmer. Remove from the heat and briskly stir in the egg yolks, cheese, herbs and courgettes. Season, to taste.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Stir a tablespoon or two into the mushroom mixture. This loosens it, making it easier for the next step, to carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide between the individual ramekin dishes and bake for 20 minutes until well-risen and golden brown. Rush to the table…!
Tip: If dried herbs are to replace fresh, halve the amount to get the best amount of flavour.
For light lunches, use individual pie dishes or medium ramekin dishes.
Ready in: 45 minutes
Serves 6-8 as a starter or 4 as a light lunch
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 2 small courgettes, grated
- 200g pot Chesswood Creamed Mushrooms
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 75g (2¾ oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp freshly chopped tarragon or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper