Baked Cod with Mushroom & Prawn Sauce & Parmesan Wafers
Ask your fishmonger for Cod loins, there a little more expensive than steak, but there skinless and boneless for maximum convenience. This is a great special occasion meal for sharing with friends, serve with new potatoes wild rice and green vegetables.
- First make the Parmesan wafers; preheat grill to a medium high heat and line the grill pan with lightly oiled kitchen foil. Using a round 5cm plain pastry cutter as a guide, sprinkle a thin layer of cheese to form a disc. Repeat until you have 8 discs.
- Pop under the grill and keep an eye on the wafers as the cheese melts and forms a golden colour. Remove grill from the pan and leave discs to cool.
- Place cod in a buttered ovenproof dish. Add lemon juice and wine and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place Chesswood mushrooms in a saucepan and add a finely chopped garlic clove. Then add the prawns and gently heat through, without boiling.
- Use a slotted fish slice to transfer the cooked cod to a warm serving dish; cover and keep warm. Stir 3 tsp of wine, the cream and parsley into the creamed mushroom with garlic. Adjust the seasoning to taste and then pour on to the cod. Serve with the crisp parmesan wafers.
Ready in: 40 minutes
- 2-3tsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Butter for greasing
- 4 skinless cod loins
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 150ml white wine
- 2x200g Chesswood creamed mushrooms
- 200g peeled prawns
- 2tsp fresh double cream
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- Salt and black pepper.